TAA has one of the largest Labor and Employment practices of any full-service firm in Bangladesh. We recognize that it takes more than legal acumen to help solve our clients’ legal problems. We address our clients’ legal issues in the broader context of their business operations and help them achieve solutions that appropriately manage their legal risks.
As a result of our approach and our wide range of legal services, our Labor & Employment lawyers represent a broad client base, including local and foreign manufacturers; banks and other financial institutions; private equity firms and other investment entities; utilities; railroads; airlines; services firms; healthcare providers; internet and other technology companies; colleges and universities; and charitable institutions; and governmental agencies.
We appreciate that our clients’ interests often are best served by avoiding litigation in the first place. Accordingly, our lawyers provide sophisticated counseling on a wide range of issues to help them meet that objective, including:
- Advising on compliance with the ever-expanding body of laws applicable to employers, including laws concerning discrimination and harassment, employee disabilities and leaves, proper overtime classification of exempt and non-exempt employees under overtime laws, background checks and privacy issues;
- Advising on reductions in force and other employee separations and discipline, including “adverse impact” reviews;
- Conducting and advising on sexual harassment investigations and other internal investigations;
- Drafting and negotiation of employment-related agreements and plans, including executive employment contracts, retention agreements, noncompetition and other restrictive covenants, separation agreements, arbitration agreements and bonus and severance plans;
- Preparation of employment policies, such as employee handbooks, codes of conduct and electronic communications policies;
- Counseling on all aspects of labor-management relations, ranging from negotiation of labor agreements to advising on representation elections to handling of strikes and other disputes;
- Advising on the effective use of and representation of clients in, arbitration, mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
We leverage the advantages that only a full-service firm can offer and work with our colleagues in the firm’s Securities, Tax, Employee Benefits, Corporate Reorganization and Bankruptcy, M& A, Executive Compensation and other practice areas to handle the full range of legal issues that arise in the corporate and other business transactions and restructurings. We also have substantial experience in the employment and labor aspects of corporate bankruptcies and other restructurings. We assist in preparing incentive plans and agreements to help key individuals stay motivated; assist with impact and disparate treatment analyses; advise on legal restrictions on the use of retention and severance provisions in bankruptcies; represent debtors and creditors in contested hearings to approve or reject employment, compensation, union and benefits agreements and plans, and in plan confirmation proceedings; and counsel and represent clients in related union negotiations.